What Is Lead Poisoning
Lead is the metal which is found in the crust of the earth layer. Moreover, it can be anywhere in the environment naturally. However, it is present in some human-made items. With time, this usage is increasing. Pipes and pants in earlier time use lead. People used to eat in the lead made utensils. Mining activities produce lead too. Here you’ll read about Lead Poisoning.
Lead is dangerous in several ways. It can harm the production of blood cells affecting nerves. The lead can affect the brain or movement of muscles. Long term exposure to lead is dangerous or even life threatening. This is also known as lead poisoning. People of every age are victims of lead poisoning; however, young children are more vulnerable to lead poisoning.
Symptoms Of Lead Intoxication
Signs of lead intoxication vary. Moreover, in some cases, they are not visible at the early stages. We can genuinely call lead intoxication a slow poisoning. However, following is the list of few common symptoms of lead poisoning.
- Development delay
- Loss of appetite
- Loss of weight
- Hearing loss
- Eating unusual food
- Abdominal pain
- Learning disabilities
In adults, symptoms can be different like it can be
- Mood disorder
- Difficulties in thinking and responding
- High blood pressure
- Muscle pain
Causes Of Lead Poisoning
There are several causes of this kind of poisoning. More prolonged exposure to the lead generation process may cause lead intoxication. Moreover, in previous years, paints contain lead. Furthermore, Recycling activities leads to intoxication.
Inhaling in an environment which has excessive lead causes lead poisoning. Even art products may contain lead which is dangerous for use. Lead reduces the ability to absorb calcium. So it won`t let bones absorb calcium.
Moreover using something which contains lead is toxic. Dust and water are the common cause of coming in contact with this lead poison. There are food containers like lead glazed, which are treated to eyes but are harmful to eat in.
Here the question arises that why do people use lead while knowing its harmful effects.
Water and oxygen can not easily harm the lead coated surface. It is easily moldable and shapable. It is the best protection against radiations.
As we told that lead is not affected by water. So in our body, it won`t let water stay effecting indirectly red blood cell. Anemia is the result then.
Read our more detailed article: Blood Poisoning: Causes, Symptoms & Treatment
Treatments Of Lead Poisoning
The first thing is to give your kids and yourself a lead-free diet and environment. Secondly, if one is diagnosed with this, then identify the source. Remove the source of contamination. Very high level of lead is found in children. So attempts are made to reduce them. Chelation therapy is helpful in this.
Unfortunately, if someone has eaten life-threatening lead amount in one go has to treat it. For this purpose, two main treatments are there.
- Gastric Lavage: This involves emptying and washing the stomach with tube or saline irrigation
- Bowel Irrigation: In this, a solution is inserted into the bowel via the rectum. Water stimulates all the material to flush out of the body.
Lead Poisoning And Kids
Young children absorb lead more quickly then elders. Moreover, their brain is in the stage of growth. So regular exposure will affect their development. Furthermore, they are innocent so that they can put anything in the mouth quickly. Parents should give toys to children easily. As some toys may have stained glasses or paint, which is harmful.
Lead Poisoning Statistic
This kind of poisoning should not be ignored. We all should protect yourself from its adverse effects. Further, we should provide safe environments for our children. To know the destruction of lead poisoning has a look at the following figures.
- About 1.2 million children in the USA have lead poisoning. No level of lead is safe for children. Even 2 milligram per deciliter of blood can lower the IQ of children. Stilling 70% of children are not tested and left untreated.
- Over 400,000 people face death as a result of poisoning.
- The lead level 45 µg/dL or below is normal in children but should be cautioned.
- In adults, this level can be 40 µg/dL. Above 80 µg/dL is deadly dangerous.
Lead Poisoning Test
First, we have to understand who should get his blood test? Only the person to whom the doctor has recommended or who worked in mining or any exposure to lead for long. As everyone`s blood test will show some amount of lead in blood. In adults, zinc protoporphyrin test is also done. The doctor recommends parents of one-year-old to have a lead test and repeat after every year. Moreover, doctors want a blood test for the lead when there is some family history of lead poisoning. People leave in old houses, i.e. built before 1970 are at risk of lead poisoning.
We always recommend prevention. To prevent yourself and your child from exposing to lead. In any case, if it is unavoidable, then minimize the time frame.
Increase calcium intake more than usual. Get yourself and child checked. Be careful when giving a toy to a child. Read its label.